Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Water & Woods

It began with practicality. The back-to-back hurricane brushes of this season left Dave and I wishing we had a permanent place north of Interstate-10 (and less than 300 miles from here) where we could flee in the event of a big one. We started searching real estate websites for options and, frankly, there weren't any. We certainly aren't in a position to purchase a second HOME and buying a personal shelter for $150,000 is out of the question. On the other hand - we did stumble across a few "camps" for much less -- but as the name implies - these weren't the sorts of buildings in which you would choose to ride out a hurricane.

It didn't take long for us to give up on the original idea. However, we both continued a daily search for vacant land somewhere in the one-hour-from-here area. Last week we hit paydirt with a find in Plum Bluff Estates near the Pascagoula River. It's a little slice of about one acre sitting on a happy ox-bow called "White Perch Lake" and the price was too good to pass up for actual waterfront land (as opposed to 'water view' or 'water access').

Water

Woods

Our offer was accepted, we're waiting for the appraisal, and closing is set for some date in October that escapes me now.

Someday we may actually build a camp on this property. Someday when we finish the upstairs bathroom and George's room and replace our french doors, porch fans, and repair the porch columns here. In the meantime we're just excited to be land owners.... And at least we can rest assured that if someday our Katrina repairs are finally complete and we find that we can't function without at least one home construction project pending - we're covered.

9 comments:

Mama T said...

always good to have a backup plan!
looks nice, any alligators?

Karen Anne said...

That is one gorgeous setting.

I'm sure you know to be hysterically careful with kids near water? And maybe they can all swim?

Unknown said...

Ooo I hope so, mama t! :)

Unknown said...

Hysterically careful is the usual course anywhere near water for us. The lake has a gradual descent so the water at the shoreline starts at inches deep - but still we'll be keeping everyone away from waterfront unsupervised. I know when I was young and at my parents' lake cabin it was a constant source of stress for Mom. I was strictly forbidden to play anywhere other than the backyard (non water side) of the house unless someone was there to actually take me to the other side. I have a distinct memory of sitting on the fishing pier wearing a life jacket (Man, was it hot.)

Everyone already has a taste of some pretty strict water safety rules from our fishing & beach expeditions... But we'll be training (& swimming) in earnest now that we may have a more regular waterfront destination.

I'm actually more concerned at this point about getting everyone serious about wildlife education.. Mama T's alligators.. snakes.. and all the other critters that come with the swamp.

Karen Anne said...

How fussy are the local building codes? I am thinking, a great project in all your spare time :-) to build a nice little cabin yourself. You could be off the grid and everything, unless it is less isolated than it looks.

One weekend a month going up there with a big tent to sleep in, Mom and Pop work while the kids have a great time. Your Mom comes along to keep on eye on them.

Okay, enough fantasies for today.

Karen Anne said...

We grew up near water, and my parents were pretty liberal about rules in general, but break a water safety rule and you were grounded for an eternity.

They had us enrolled in Red Cross swimming and life saving classes every summer, well after we knew how to swim.

A biggee was never, ever go in the water without an adult present. I guess if anyone had tried that, the other kids would have ratted them out. At least, I don't recall it ever happening.

Ruth said...

Really looks serene Anita. After spending so many years of your life on a lake, this was bound to happen. lol May I say to your guests that I am not a "built in" babysitter? If anything, you will find me with a sun hat on and fishing. lol

Darthomer said...

I say that I really like the property and I think they were alligators from what i heard... up to 13ft.

Sandy said...

I think it's a beautiful spot!