Monday, July 14, 2008

And we'll always have these memories to share....

I am hormonal. We tackled a major home improvement project.
I suspect there is some cause and effect going on here.

Right about the time of each lunar cycle when I become my meanest -- it also becomes absolutely necessary that we accomplish some major task around the house. I think this has been referred to as 'nesting syndrome' in the past. That just sounds too sweet a description for the raging three-headed, order-barking, hammer-wielding beast I become. But then, come to think of it, I have run into quite a few poor-tempered nesting birds in my life.

Getting the baseboards up and painted and caulked on Saturday was a major accomplishment. But not all that remarkable unless you take into account that we managed to do it with our marriage still intact.

Me: What are you doing in that corner?
Dave: Nothing.
Me: Yes. I know there's a gap. Looking at it won't make it smaller.
Dave: It is a pretty big gap.
Me: Yes. That's what caulk is for.

(Silence)

Dave: You think caulk will cover that?
Me: I highly recommend you get out of that corner now.

(Silence)

Me: (screaming) Look! The walls aren't square okay? And it's hot in this stupid room and I don't want to take out what's already nailed. I messed up the cut. It's not perfect. So shoot me.
Dave: (softly) You're right. Caulk will take care of it. It will be fine.
Me: (hysterically) NO. NO. You're just saying that so I don't get hysterical. You hate the corner. You hate the room. You hate me.
Dave: (more softly) No no. It will be fine. I was being silly - of course caulk will cover it. You're doing a great job and I love it.
Me: (evilly) Oh reeaally? Then why do you keep staring at it?
Dave: I'm not staring at it. I'm no where near it.
Me: Yeah but you're thinking about it.

(Silence)

Me: That's it. I quit.

(Sound of heavy footsteps stomping down stairs)

Repeat that scene a couple dozen times and you have a pretty good idea of what it was like upstairs at our house on Friday and Saturday. (And Sunday. Laying the carpet tiles didn't bring out the best in me either.)



But.. we did it! And you know what I'll always remember about the experience? I mean other than the really sore back and knees and the sensation of sawdust up my nose.... I'll always remember just how quickly we laughed about it all later.

1 comment:

kasandora said...

How many of those fall aparts have I had in the last month...mhmmmmm....about 30 I think! the last one ended with me on the floor near the washing machine refusing to come out for about an hour...why do hormones turn us into irrational children????