Monday, June 2, 2008

92 degrees

It's hot. Really really hot. Earlier today I took a peek at the thermometer out on the back porch (yes.. in the shade) and it was reading around 92 degrees Fahrenheit. So then I started humming a song I remember from my teenage years: "Not 91 or 93 but 92 Fahrenheit degrees...."

The song referred to various research that linked ambient temperature to crime -- most studies finding that the incidence of crime (or in some cases simply the sheer violence of the crime) increased in proportion to increases in temperature. (Here's a link to the first Google result on the subject: Temperature and Crime)

Summer is just beginning... I suppose that means we're doomed.

I woke up this morning to find that the pond that we relocated from the backyard to the front porch (which I suppose makes it more of a fountain than a pond now?) was vandalized sometime last night. The irises that I was just getting started were dumped unceremoniously on the bottom of the little pool... mud everywhere... the fountainhead removed... and the pump was spitting and hissing where it hung -- mostly removed from the water. *Sigh*

When I called Mom this morning to tell her what I found she came over for a little while to try to cheer me up.... And then I spent a good chunk of the afternoon trying to rescue our six mosquito fish and one small fiddler crab from the murky depths.

When Dave came in from work he helped me remove the rest of the mud and get water back into the pond before our fish suffocated in a mixing bowl in the kitchen. The battered and broken irises are resting in a shady spot behind our front shrubs for now -- our priority was getting our little creatures back into their home... And that we did manage before nightfall. Unfortunately we did lose one fish who escaped from the mixing bowl and wasn't found until it was too late.

And from here on out - it only gets hotter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear.

Could it have been maybe a raccoon, as opposed to human vandals? (I am just baffled at what motivates people to commit vandalism.)

Unknown said...

You know that's what I'm hoping.. Hoping... hoping that maybe a raccoon got a whiff of our resident fiddler crab and went fishing.... And I know they're clever little fellows and may have taken the time to remove the empty iris pots and throw them out on the porch.... They really might have.

We'll be waiting to see what happens next... And keeping an ear out for strange happenings.

Keep your fingers crossed that we'll discover some furry bandits -- that I can handle. The two-legged ones though -- they just break my heart.

Ruth said...

You mean this little fish didn't meet his death from a heroic battle with whatever disturbed his home. actually sealed his fate on the kitchen floor?

Unknown said...

LOL Mom

Yes. Particularly tragic huh?