Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Floor happens

The guys showed up Friday with a shipment of wood for the upstairs floors and it was stacked in the library over the weekend to allow it to acclimate before the installation.

Much to my surprise - installation did actually begin Monday morning. However, there was not much to show for it by last night as most of the day was spent ripping up old carpet and prepping subfloor.


Well.. okay.. It's a start.

After only a couple of hours this morning things are shaping up nicely. And the guys tell me they expect to have the hall and the entire library room completed by tonight.


Working on the rest of the hall at 10 am


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't quite tell, but it looks like you have the same situation with the hallway floor that I have with mine upstairs, that is, the vertical whatchacallums of the railings end on a piece of wood that is difference from the rest of the floor?

I want to rip out the wall-to-wall carpet that I have there, but whatever wood-type flooring that goes in has to coexist with a similar wood thing under my railing whatchacalums.

I finally had something picked out, only to have the floor guy tell me what I wanted wouldn't work, because there was only enough room for a"3/4 " nail down floor" unless I wanted some large ugly transition piece and the result at a different level. No thanks.

Meanwhile he'd been mentioning expansion room and floating baseboards to allow expansion, so I had the idea all wood floors were like that. Apparently not, if this one has to be nailed down.

I'm going to talk to hopefully more illuminating floor guys who tell me stuff before I've spend a month agonizing over picking unsuitable things out, but I was wondering what your floor was up there?

I remember asking about a downstairs floor and I think you said it was Brazilian Cherry, but I can't find the post to see if it was this naildown stuff...

Thanks, signed, baffled :-)

Unknown said...

LOL! Yes! Our big problem was mostly with the fact that our downstairs baseboard literally runs up the staircase on the wall (not railing) side... and then turns back horizontal to meet... new baseboard which they installed at a different level to accommodate the new floor.. So we are living with an awkward meeting of two different baseboard levels right at the top of the stairs that I hope no one notices. Maybe I'll put a plant in front of it.

Our railing whatchamacalums and the wood thing underneat them -- our floor ended up lower than the wood under the railings and our floor installers simply butted the floor planks right up to them. There's no noticeable gap so we did okay there...

BUT as for floor floatingness and baseboard/doorjamb/existing trim meeting... We used quarter round as a shoe moulding stained the same color as the floor to make up for differences in floor height (that is.. hide gaps.) I'm as confused as you are though -- why do you need float space if the floor is nail down? The only floating floor we ever installed was a laminate floor in one of the spare bedrooms.. which we ended up taking up a year later because it was so hollow and prone to shifting.

The dining room downstairs is the original Brazilian Cherry - the rest of the floors downstairs we had done in oak with a Nutmeg stain (it's so soft it's scary.. NOT durable at all.. blah!) - and the upstairs is Brazilian Cherry again. All of them are glue-down.

Is the problem that you don't have enough clearance to actually slip a wood floor under your baseboards? Cause it seems that if that's the case -- then a glue-down/nail-down floor with shoe molding at the baseboards to make the final product even would work.

Let me know what the more enlightened floor guys say....

Anonymous said...

Thanks, you've given me more to think about. I think I need to find a web page, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Wood Floors.

I'm surprised oak is soft. I had oak floors, 80 years old, in my California bungalow, and they seemed quite hard. The Douglas fir floors in the bedrooms, those were soft. After 80 years of being marked, though, the Doug fir floors had a sort of overall "character" that made that less noticeable.

Unknown said...

I'm surprised about our oak floor too! It's the same floor we had when we lived in Gulfport - and though we got a couple of gouges here and there over a period of 7 years I thought it was pretty durable -- which is why I picked it for this house. To be fair we've put a lot of extra wear on it with the five kids (lots and lots of dropped toys) and the animals and the ongoing remodeling and construction projects. It doesn't scratch - but it dents if you know what I mean. Like the fir floor you describe - it's already taken on a bit of character... And I'm a big fan of character so it's all good.

By the way - speaking of that floor in Gulfport... If you remember from one of the old posts - we discovered that that house was the only one left standing in our old neighborhood so close to the beach.. but that the water had actually washed over it - there was mud about two feet thick inside. Well - we found the house for sale on realtor.com several months ago... and get this... The floors remain. Refinished, obviously - but not buckled and not looking too bad. (I would have refinished them differently myself...). Can't beat that huh?