There is a conspicuous absence of stacks of boxes in the living room tonight. We did manage to move a lot of the stuff into the finally-painted pantry. We also moved a lot of the stuff directly to the back of Dave's truck for a trip to the dump. The most foolish move of the day would have to involve filling the kitchen drawers with stuff for the first time in months. It isn't all that foolish at the moment -- but! Said kitchen drawers are missing their finished faces... and those faces will have to be put back onto these drawers at some point in the future... and chances are I will have to remove everything from the drawers in order to do such a thing...
But... I don't know when that will be. It could be months. Months! And I can't live any more months out of boxes. This family of six is tired of fighting over three spoons. I'm tired of using a butter knife to stir soup. Most of all -- I really missed my junk drawers. Oh I know.. you probably groan at the thought of your junk drawers (c'mon.. we all know you have them)... But stop tonight and think what you would do without them. Where are your spare mismatched buttons? Stray rubberbands? Rusty scissors? Where's that needle thing you need to inflate the basketball? The mini-flashlight? A pencil for the grocery list? The ring of keys to stuff that you don't have anymore? Where would they go - if there was no junk drawer? They're good things. And I'm happy to have mine back.
I also foolishly began to sort of decorate the kitchen. Yes - I know - I have no cabinet doors.. and I know it all has to be put away before anyone can finish painting and reinstalling doors... but in the meantime -- I think it will bring some much-needed sanity to our place. Thanks to Mom, Swapna, my sister Peggy, and my childhood friend Dan for my current favorite kitchen items.
The cool beaded lamp from Dan.
The fantastic kitchen utensil thingie from Swapna. (Bad picture - dark corner.. but in real life it sparkles, I tell you...)
My all-time favorite salt and pepper dispensers from Mom.
And shiny sealife courtesy of my sister Peggy.____________________________________________________________________
In other news -- we mourned the loss of the table saw this afternoon. I can't say we got a lot of use out of it between Katrina and now - and perhaps if we had tried we would have parted company a lot sooner - but... at least it got to take up some space in the garage for a good long while. Farewell, tablesaw. We barely knew you.
In other news -- we mourned the loss of the table saw this afternoon. I can't say we got a lot of use out of it between Katrina and now - and perhaps if we had tried we would have parted company a lot sooner - but... at least it got to take up some space in the garage for a good long while. Farewell, tablesaw. We barely knew you.

No comments:
Post a Comment