To finish as of 1/9/06
Thresholds install
Replacing popping tile
remove shelf supports in closet/patch walls
Door handles install
Install shoe
Paint base/shoe, side of island, crown
Paint doors/drawer facing & reinstall (& shutters)
Fix lower shelf in hutch
So this is what we have left before we can declare Phase I completed.
We went over the list with Dean via telephone last night as well... And we gave him the go-ahead to start installing baseboard throughout the rest of the downstairs on Friday.
Yes, we have decided to accept the Phase II estimate.
The official estimate for the rest of the downstairs is $14, 682.
Non included items are as follows:
Purchase and install of Monessen ventless firebox (fireplace): approximately $2000
Purchase replacement solid wood door slab: $500
Purchase & install jetted tub (if we cannot have it repaired): $2000
Purchase tile, grout, & stain for surrounds: $500
Refinish wood floor in dining room: $500
Purchase and install carpet on stairs: $1500
These prices are all worst-case scenario - but it's not a great idea to work with best-case figures when budgeting. This brings what's left of remaining downstairs interior expenses to: $21,682
Of course it will still have to be painted....
Upon completion of Phase I and Phase II repairs - we will have approximately $24,000 remaining from the home grant for Phase III. This will cut things woefully short as labor costs creep up every day that passes... However, we feel that if we plan carefully for Phase III and take care of as many of the repairs as we can on our own then we can make it.
For instance - for only the cost of materials Dave and I have gained the skill and experience necessary to replace the sheetrock in the damaged upstairs bedroom ourselves. We can also replace the damaged light fixtures as long as an electrician checks for wiring damage first. And! We may even be able to conquer the flooring for said damaged bedroom. All of this could save us about $3000.
Hmm.. that isn't as big a chunk as I was hoping for when I was daydreaming about saving lots of money....
So Plan B is that we simply plan on paying off extraneous debt as quickly as possible so we will be free to borrow without stress when Phase III rolls around.
____________________________________________________________________
Can I tell you a secret?
I'm tired of Hurricane Katrina.
I don't want to hear about it... I don't want to talk about it... and I certainly don't want to live in its aftermath anymore. I'm tired of long lines at the grocery stores and signs that tell us Katrina stole their employees and we must be patient. I'm tired of empty slabs and ghost neighborhoods. I'm tired of the words 'debris', 'insurance', 'recovery', and 'survivor'. I'm tired of projected dates of completion, big talk from guys in suits, and no visible signs of progress. I'm sick of hearing stories of billions of dollars being thrown around and happy news stories about yet another hundred milliion dollar donation from this or that source... and not knowing a single soul who has benefited from any of it.
I'm going to go drink my coffee now. And I'm going to pretend when I look out my window that it's only winter. There was no mega-disaster... We aren't recovering... We're just waiting for the spring when everything is new again.
And if that doesn't work... then I'm going to stain some grout.
1 comment:
Well said Anita! I hate the name Katrina and all the problems it has caused us. To not be able to take a drive to Biloxi and Gulfport is very sad. We are isolated. I would like to know what is going on. I especially am sad about not being able to go to George's grave. I am angry that I am too scared to get on I 10 after all the accidents there. None of this mess is real, is it?
Post a Comment