Saturday, August 19, 2006

Predictions

Before.

Success!

Earlier today I predicted that we would be finished with the kitchen closet texturing and patching and painting by tonight. Although I think I actually said by 'late' tonight -- I think we can still chalk one up for my psychic ability.


A look at part of the closet wall from the kitchen to show the lovely clay color which didn't show up in the first picture. I just want everyone to know that I'm not painting everything brown. In the background, behind the high chair, you'll notice some fresh, new drywall mud in the corner -- some of Bernard's handywork as he cleaned up some of the more jagged seams for us. (Read: We now need to touch up the kitchen paint as well...)

The Sun Herald has listed a ridiculous number of events that are being planned for the Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina on their website. Oddly enough, we couldn't find even one that we were especially interested in attending. However, the City of Pascagoula has announced an event that's a little different from all the concerts and tree-planting ceremonies going on:

AUG. 26

City of Pascagoula communitywide picnic, all public parks will be open for picnics. To recreate the sharing atmosphere after the storm, residents are encouraged to grill and share. Residents are also encouraged to gather in their neighborhoods.


I certainly understand the sentiment... but I actually feel like it's almost too much of a reminder of the actual events following the storm: 'No folks, we municipal folks aren't actually going to do anything but instead we'll leave it up to you to do something.'

Though quite seriously I appreciate the sense of respect for independence -- something I have liked about Pascagoula since we came here.

Still, Dave and I were thinking that it would be a nice touch if they were to round up some city trucks and drive through the neighborhoods distributing cold drinks and ice for those suggested block parties. That's the spirit!

Personally, I think we should have community-wide swimming lessons tailored especially to our needs with such extra instructional classes as: "How to safely dive from the roof of your two-story home into fast moving water" and "Navigating debris while treading water".

Dave has a prediction of his own regarding the upcoming anniversary, however. He thinks we'll be spending the weekend boarding up our windows and getting ready for whatever develops in the tropics this coming week. Talk about deja vu.

And he makes a totally valid point -- this hurricane season has barely begun. No matter how much we want to remember and forget last season - we really cannot afford to be caught off-guard, nor can we pretend that we are assured every step taken from here on out will be forward...

No comments: