People keep suggesting that I get out.. Get out of the house to perk myself up on those low days... Go do something else rather than fret about all that still needs to be done around the house. It suddenly became possible a couple of weeks ago when Dave bought an old truck from a coworker and I was left with the mini-van. But I had gotten so used to being without transportation that I was literally dumbfounded when my mother messaged this morning and said "I have wondered why you haven't visited yet... Have you forgotten that you have transportation?" Er.. Yes. Yes actually I had forgotten.
I got up from the computer immediately and started getting ready for the 5 mile trip to Mom's house. I changed and dressed Yvonne first -- and of course fixed her hair because it matters a lot what she looks like -- especially if she's going to see her Nana. I brushed and fed the dog and fed and watered all the kitties -- taking care to check out Jo's stitches and give her a little pain medicine. Next I got Emily out of bed, gave her a sponge bath, and changed her diaper and clothes. I finally threw on some clothes myself before I actually started packing. Two large diaper bags were to be packed. I packed six new diapers for the baby and two for Yvonne -- surely she couldn't need more than two for just a few hour visit... A new pack of wipies and some of those clean-smelling baggies. I packed Yvonne's regular sippy cup -- and then the regular bottle in case a tantrum erupted over the sippy cup -- and then the big bottle with the collapsible liner in case the tantrum reached meltdown. Then there were the three 20 ounce bottles of water and the large can of powdered formula for the baby - plus two pre-made bottles and 16 spare collapsible liners. Finally I searched for the cell phone and my keys and Yvonne requested snack food. I got out two plastic sandwich baggies and packed some Cheese Nips and some pretzels in one of the diaper bags.
Just then I noticed that Emily was squirming and checked her diaper. After another diaper change (and a fresh change of clothes) -- I put her in her carseat and started gathering everything near the door. I went out on the back porch and made a warm pallet in the sun for Judge to sleep since it was still chilly outside -- and he can't stay inside unattended just yet with the still exposed wiring and all of the other hazards in the house. I brought out his water and food dish and left him with a few doggie treats and instructions to stay. I took Yvonne by the hand and opened the back door - then I reached to get Emily. Just then all three of our cats came racing through the open door. I left the door open and brought the babies out to the car. Emily went in first and I talked to Yvonne the entire time I strapped the carseat in trying to keep track of her location by the sound of her voice. Yvonne, the little angel, was patiently waiting and tried to help me get her in her own car seat. Then I told the babies to hang on while I ran back to the house to grab the diaper bags and my purse. Finally, I got everything in the car - jumped in and started the engine - and hit the button to close the garage door. I was watching for the kitties to make sure none of them were in the way of the door when I remembered that all of the kitties had run into the house. The litterbox and the food and water were in the garage....
I reopened the garage door and told the babies to hold on again while I ran back to the house to get the kitties. I tried the lock and remembered the keys were in the car. Another trip to the car and then back to the back door armed with house keys. Luckily, all three kitties were waiting hungrily at the back door when I opened it and I petted them all as they raced back to their kitty condo and food bowls.
I finally made it to Mom's and the whole ordeal was well worth it. Yvonne entertained us as usual and we got to spend a couple hours chatting and eating bad microwaved food and not having to pretend we liked it. Before I even knew it - it was 2pm and time to get home to meet the boys who would be walking home from school.
On my way out the door I announced to Mom that I would pick up the boys and take a trip to Wal-mart while I was out. I guess I was thinking after all the trouble it took to get the babies packed and out -- I might as well make a day of it. I suppose I should have left well-enough alone.
By the time the boys appeared on the sidewalk outside of their school - Yvonne was getting tired of waiting in the car and Emily needed a bottle. But by now I was determined. I had spent the ten minutes waiting at the school hatching a plan to ensure that the boys wouldn't groan and hiss when I told them we had to go to Wal-mart: I would take the opportunity to get George a scooter so he and William could both scooter their way to and from school.
We found a parking spot within a mile and a half of the entrance to the store AND there was a shopping cart nearby. So far, so good. I buckled Yvonne into the seat of the shopping cart and put Emily's carseat in the lower section of the basket... I froze for a moment -- there was something wrong with the arrangement, I just couldn't put my finger on it.... Just then George and William started arguing with one another about who should get out of the car first and I lost my train of thought. We marched on toward the store.
As we got inside to be greeted by the official greeter with all the shopping carts -- I realized what must be wrong: If I had a shopping cart full of babies -- where was I going to put whatever I bought? I looked at the boys and said "Boys - you're old enough to help out... One of you will need to push a basket." They immediately erupted into a blur of shoves and whines - shouting over who would get to push the basket. I grabbed George by the collar and designated him as the official basket-pusher and then grabbed William by the back of the shirt and dubbed him "Baby basket director." Problem solved, we headed for the toy department. My offical baby basket director took a detour to the restrooms -- but we forged on - undaunted. There was one last scooter on the shelf. One. I was so relieved. George was not. It was blue. He wanted red. Nevermind that it was the last one - and a blue scooter is inarguably better than no scooter at all... William saved the day then as he bounded up from his trip to the restroom and shouted "Oh cool! A blue scooter! I want a blue scooter - mine is just plain ol' black!" George answered with a resounding, "Oh no - this is MY blue scooter..."
I happily informed the boys that we were then going to go get the thing that I had actually wanted during this shopping trip: Toddler beds for the babies. Yvonne is definitely big enough for at least a toddler bed now -- and the crib she sleeps in we had tried to save from the flood waters and it now looks like it has been sitting in the bottom of a riverbed for about 5 months. And since the girls will be sharing a room for a while - we figured we should get matching beds now since down the line it's so hard to find the same model again. We had found some nice toddler beds at Amazon.com last week -- but shipping for the beds actually costs more than the beds themselves. We weren't planning on making an investment out of a couple toddler beds... So we nixed that idea.
There on the shelf at Wal-mart were two toddler beds. Nothing special. Just toddler beds... And the price was right -- I could get two for the price of shipping alone through Amazon. Yes! I grabbed a bed and swung it around at the empty basket that George was trying to keep steady. It didn't fit. It was bigger than the basket. We tried putting it on the bottom -- it was still too big. We balanced it on top and it slid off onto the floor. William offered to carry them for me - but at 30 lbs each... I don't think he could have done it. George suggested we just drag them along on the floor. Then William suggested that we leave the babies where they were... take one bed to the register - buy it.. load it in the car... then come back for the other and do the same... And when we were done we could come back to get the babies.
I thought about not getting the beds at all for a moment... but then I was having an outing with my four children. People do this all the time. I had something to prove! I hoisted one of the beds up to the empty basket again but this time on its narrow end so that it was sticking straight up over four feet in the air -- balanced precariously against the side of the basket. I asked a very nervous George to hold it straight while I dropped the second bed next to it to wedge it in place. Voila! George offered to push the baby basket while William pushed the bed basket and I walked along side them all making sure nothing and no one fell out. On the way I grabbed a pack of diapers and a King cake for Mardi Gras.
Waiting in line - Yvonne looked distressed and I could smell why.. She definitely needed a diaper again. Emily started crying -- but we had made it to the checkout ... we were doing this!
We paid for everything and stopped near the official Wal-mart greeter to have our receipt checked off... but the official Wal-mart greeter was in no hurry. I can't fault her really - she was doing what official Wal-mart greeters are supposed to do and taking it seriously... I just wish she could have greeted people a little more quickly. By the time we got to the car Emily was wailing, the boys were both in tears from picking on one another, and Yvonne was very serious and quiet trying to hide the smell wafting from her general vicinity. I loaded the small items in the back of the van while the boys crawled into their seats. Then I hauled the babies around to the left to strap Yvonne in her seat -- back around to the right to strap in Emily's carseat and fish for a bottle in the overpacked diaper bag.... And back around to the shopping cart to tackle the toddler beds. I lifted the first up parallel with the hatch of the car and it was instantly obvious: it didn't fit. Sideways - right side up - on top of the boys - crammed between seats... I tried everything... It was bigger than the minivan. And there were TWO of them.
The two toddler beds never did fit in that van. It was physically impossible. But that didn't matter to me at that point this afternoon.. and I PUT them in the minivan. It must be one of those strange things that happen -- like the stories you hear about 90 lb women lifting burning cars clean off the ground to save a trapped infant -- but I got those two beds home...
It took thirty minutes to unpack from the outing. I had to change two sets of diapers and clothes and put Yvonne down for a nap immediately. I started a load of laundry, made a pot of coffee, and helped the boys with their homework. I played fetch with the poor dog to make him feel better after spending the day alone and the phone rang.... It was Dave saying he was going to be working late to make up time he missed on Monday taking Emily to the doctor. Poor Dave. Let's just say the conversation didn't go very well. I called him back though - to explain what was wrong. I'm glad he loves me.
The next time I start feeling all empowered and wanting to go out like a liberated woman and relish my freedom -- I am going to remind myself that liberated women by the very definition of 'liberated' do not have four children under the age of 10. I think I'll stay home and sand window trim or assemble cabinets... and if I simply must get out I'll go have some coffee with Mom...
No comments:
Post a Comment