Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

It has taken over a week for me to come to terms with how I feel about the celebration of Mardi Gras here on the Gulf Coast in the wake of Katrina. I have decided to remain undecided.

And I'm not talking about New Orleans -- I'll leave that to the national news media....

I'm talking about the Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama Gulf Coast... I'm talking about king cakes, moon pies, crawfish boils, and quiet get-togethers with family and friends. Our cultural heritage... our traditions.. our history -- at a time when so many reminders of such have been obliterated or are still awaiting the bulldozer.

It isn't all about the parades or the carnival balls... Although I'm aware that those traditions mean just as much to the families involved in them as our own family traditions mean to us. (Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to ride in a parade someday... Just haven't had the chance thus far...) For us, at least - we prefer to celebrate Mardi Gras for what it is: the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the Lenten season.

When I was growing up, my mother and I always managed to sneak out and catch at least one local parade. I still remember the big Biloxi parade where Mom seemed to know everyone on the floats. It was such a neat thing to be there with a minor celebrity... And then there was the year-after-year tradition of making it to the Krewe of Real People parade in Bay-Waveland. No matter how many times we went, we were always exhausted and so very tired of waiting -- on the verge of packing up and going home.. but as soon as we'd hear the beat of a marching band or a good mambo -- we were energized again.

As a young adult I found myself in New Orleans around Mardi Gras a couple of times -- almost by accident, really... I got to attend the Zulu parade when the prized throw was still a coconut (fear of major head injuries stifled that tradition, I think...)... I have seen the splendor that is Endymion and felt the enthusiasm that surrounds Bacchus. Ahh.. the elaborate costumes, the smell of vomit, the increased police presence, the public brawls, the constant fear for my life.... I uh.. didn't go back.

Once I recovered, I ventured out again but not so far from home. I was invited to go to the Pass Christian parade where my sister would be riding with the Krewe of Gemini. It was hot and there were an awful lot of people - but it was terribly exciting.. and I figured 'HEY! This is Pass Christian.. it's not like it's New Orleans or anything...' So before the parade I was feeling confident that George (who was just an infant at the time) and I would survive and maybe even catch a few beads... Only two people were run over with floats that year. I got punched in the face twice by some drunken woman who wanted the beads my sister was handing me from the float (You know.. normal people would not brave a punch in the face for a few plastic beads.. but there is a shortage of normal people at Mardi Gras parades...). Then a brawl broke out about five feet behind us and the baby and I were shoved into the street in front of a semi truck only to be shoved back into the crowd by roaming police officers with billy clubs -- AND just in time to narrowly miss being doused with a 30 gallon pot of boiling crawfish water that a burly intoxicated man threw at his opponent. I think that's when I decided I wasn't a parade kind of person.

In recent years past, most of our Mardi Gras has centered around our kids and their activities at school... George's wagon float project was the most elaborate to date... in other years we have simply enjoyed going out to buy throws and attending whatever kids' parade they have planned at school. However, my mother and I always enjoyed taking a last-minute trip to catch the relatively tame Gulfport Night-Parade. Mom always got the best throws -- something about that flashy smile and the way she would yell 'Throw me something!'... or maybe just because no one has ever missed my mother in a crowd.


George riding the 'St. George & the dragon' float I slaved over for a month...
It wasn't sunny enough to show off Mr. Dragon's sparkly scales. :(

There was no Gulfport night-parade this year. I half-heartedly checked the schedule when I was still trying to decide if the time is right for Mardi Gras. I cringed when the boys came in from school on Friday with sparkly beads and little tiny moon-pies from their school parade -- we were so enthralled with waiting for estimates and deliveries that the whole affair had slipped our minds.

I really didn't mean to miss Mardi Gras.

The Biloxi day-parade starts in ten minutes. I was tempted all day to find some way to make it... but with the boys and the babies settled in and Dave at work... It isn't going to happen.

Instead, maybe we'll find a quiet way to celebrate... Perhaps I can convince Mom to come over with us and we can share a really good meal. It's our post-Katrina lifestyle -- and I really can't knock it -- a return to the basics. I wonder if Yahoo! radio has any good mambo stations?

8 comments:

Ruth said...

LOLLOL Absolutely perfect Anita! Glad I never attended a NO parade or a PC one for that matter. Biloxi and Gulfport were my kind of parades.

Unknown said...

Me too, Mom. Me too.

Although even those parades have everything to do with proper planning.. I still remember taking Dave to his first Mardi Gras parade in Gulfport. We happened to be driving by just before the day parade there and in a moment of insanity I said: "Hey! Let's go to the parade!" Both the boys were in diapers back then... We had no stroller. We carried them to a corner far from the car and then realized we also had no fresh baby bottles... Sooo we walked back to our car only to find that we were blocked in and would have to stay for the duration of the parade.
Fifteen minutes after we returned to our spot on the corner -- both boys had dirty diapers and were much less than happy to be there. A lady in front of us loaned us some pull-ups which were so big that we could have put both of the boys in one and still had room for someone else... and they survived on free sno-cones from wandering vendors. But you know something? I still remember having a lot of fun that day....

Especially when Dave caught all the bananas from the Chiquita truck...

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a "Happy Mardi Gras". I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading your posts each day. Each day I rejoice with you when you take a step forward and each day I am sad when you reach a roadblock. I particulary enjoyed the pictures of your pre-garden. It was truly beautiful. I know your dismay when I see the after pictures.

God Bless you and yours
Fran

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, Fran. It's amazing how much it means to have people like you out there cheering with us and crying with us. There are days when that alone motivates us to take the next step. Hugs! -- Anita

Anonymous said...

Mardi Gras is one of those holidays that never meant much to me. It was just a time when I thought of you having a good time. Kind of like many of our Indian holidays that don't mean that much to me here, but I know family back in India must be having a grand old time.

However, this year my thoughts of Mardi Gras were something I just kept pushing away, then you brought it u

Anonymous said...

Hugs and prayers coming to you. Your family is beautiful. I almost feel I know you from your postings. It does my heart good to see you finally making a little progress.

Anonymous said...

Anita, happy Mardi Gras (fat tuesday right?) Did I get that right?
Happy 6 months of looking AHEAD and not looking behind. I am thinking about you all today. Mom and I and Miss Sadie send our love and many many hugs to all of you!
Anita, Dave, George, William, Yvonne, Em, Judge and Kitties as well as YOU Ruth!! I know u may see this!

I can't tell you how proud of you all I am. Anita every time I can get on your blog and read and see your progress it makes me smile and cry all in the same time.

We love you all,
God bless
Luba

Ruth said...

And hello to you Luba and your family. I'm fine as most of us here will reply if asked. Just wishing the whole Katrina thing would just disappear. I see Anita every day so I can honestly tell you that she is tired. We laugh about our inability to form a complete sentence at times but we still can blog. Typing unaffected. Love to all of you, Ruth