Yet another use for those MRE boxes....Whoever told me to go make a huge wish list at Amazon.com was a truly brilliant person. If only I could remember who that person was... Well, whoever you are - brilliant Amazon.com wishlist suggestor person - thank you so much!
It was amazing. I started two mornings ago with an empty wish list and a warm cup of coffee. I window shopped for hours at a time -- adding everything I could think of. Items ranged from cooking utensils to cool new techie gadgets. For two days my coffee and I shopped and clicked. After a while it became more and more difficult to add anything to my list... after a while it became a chore to look... after a while I had to stop myself from removing things from my list. What an amazing and necessary realization I had then: It's true, the stuff really isn't important.
Oh, I know I've been saying it all along... I wasn't trying to be deceptive - as a matter of fact I've meant it all along. But I was having difficulty trusting myself lately. I wondered if perhaps I was simply in denial and was inwardly mourning the loss of stuff -- too afraid to tell anyone how I felt. The wish list exercise proved otherwise. Sure - there's stuff I want... and there's stuff we need... But when faced with the prospect of even pretending to choose anything and everything my heart desires -- it wasn't easy at all. The fact is - what I truly want and need is not at Amazon.com.
To my fellow Katrina survivors -- I urge you to take the advice of the anonymous sage who helped lift my spirits: Go to Amazon.com and make yourself a wish list. It'll do you some good.
(You can also feel free to email me links to your wishlists and I'll post them here for all to see -- just in case there's a blog reader out there in a position to help out. )
No comments:
Post a Comment